On Sunday 19 February 2023, Paris Saint-Germain football club was minutes away from losing 4 games in a row when Kylian Mbabe and Lionel Messi victoriously came to the rescue of PSG to avoid a bigger crisis at the hands of the Qatar-Lille backed football club.
The French leaders managed to give away a 2-goal lead as they trailed Kylian Mbappé and just 1 goal with just 4 minutes left in the game Lionel Messi Somehow they turned things around to turn a major debacle that loomed in Paris Saint-Germain’s 4-3 win over Lille last Sunday.
Heroics by Kylian Mbappé and Lionel Messi
As Paris Saint-Germain looked very close to another hurdle, Mbappé recovered with a late equalizer Prince Park. Then, messi He scored the crucial low shot from a free-kick opportunity, with a fatal left-footed shot finding its way to the bottom right corner of the net.
Press release from the Paris Saint-Germain manager
“I’m just saying it’s a great relief”, said the technical director of Paris Saint-Germain, Christopher Galtier.
The French league table
The elusive and hard-fought victory of the Paris St Germain It came shortly after a 1-0 home loss to Bayern Munich last week during the match of the Champions League after a 3-1 defeat by Monaco in the French league, as well as another defeat by their bitter rivals in Marseille via the Coupe de France.
Paris Saint-Germain had a 5-point lead over second Marseilles in the standings who should have put the pressure on the leaders with a 3-2 win in Toulouse ahead of their game next week at the Stade Velodrome in the biggest competition in all of French football.
After running only 1 ½ hours against Bayern Munich, after returning from a hamstring injury, Mbappé returned to action against Galtier’s starting XI. Kylian’s overall impression throughout the game made up for Paris Saint-Germain’s defensive weaknesses and lack of concentration.
Paris Saint-Germain’s 2-0 lead after just 17 minutes through goals from Mbappé and Neymar made PSG feel very comfortable, but the French champions continued to concede 3 goals Bafode Diakite, Jonathan David And Jonathan Bamba They scored a goal shortly after and PSG lost Neymar to injury on top of all those Lille goals. This definitely caused nervousness at the Paris Saint-Germain football club.
The hosts immediately came under a lot of pressure when the shot was fired Tim Weah lost and Gianluigi Donnarumma He was forced into an instinctive save to stop the ball with nothing but his feet to make the big save. The defense of Paris Saint Germain, Presnel Kimpembe, put Donnarumma under pressure as he headed the ball in the direction of the goalkeeper, only to set David up for a sweet one-on-one. The Lille striker was then caught off guard by the accidental assist as his right-footed shot went nowhere near the Italy keeper’s goal.
Paris Saint-Germain looked weak and relied on Mbappe to lead the way to victory. Placed by Brazilian superstar Neymar, the striker charged down the left flank and then sliced inside to come face to face tiago leave it and Diakit. Mbappe worked his way through Djalo to work his way between the two and then defeated goalkeeper Lucas Chevalier with a low shot to achieve gold within 11 minutes.
Paris Saint-Germain managed to double their lead with a quick group effort that ignited and was finished off by Neymar, who sent the ball into his opponent’s empty net. Although, neymar He was carried off the field on a stretcher in the second half of the game after spraining his right ankle.
Despite the comfortable mattress Paris St Germain He was considered unstable and unable to master matchplay. The hosts often fell behind in their half of the field and were unable to hold the lead in the competition for long after that.
Lille was compensated with a set piece in the 23rd minute, Diakite heading the ball into the net from a cross Andre Gomes after a corner kick.
Things seemed to be getting worse Marco Verratti The Paris Saint-Germain player pulled on Djalo’s shirt in the penalty area, prompting the referee to award a penalty, which Paris Saint-Germain players, coaches and staff protested. David took the penalty and calmly put Donnarumma in his place to equalize.
Then Bamba placed Lille under control with a spectacular shot from a tight angle into the top corner of the goal, so that Mbappe shook his head in complete skepticism.
However, Kylian refused to give up and Mbappe put Paris Saint-Germain back in the game when he chipped off a back pass John Bernat getting the ball in before Messi wowed Paris Saint-Germain fans with his incredible free-kick.
Games in other places
On the other hand, the goals of Alexander Golovin And Myron Bouadu They gave third-placed Monaco a 2-1 win in Brest and Lens also defeated Nantes 3-1 to stay in fourth place and just 8 points behind Paris Saint-Germain.
Lorient defeated Ajaccio 3-0. The Rennes striker, Arnaud Kalimuendoscored twice in the 2-0 win over Clermont Wahbi Khazri He scored a crucial goal late in the game to lead Montpellier to a 1–0 win at Troyes.
Kylian Mbappe Achievements, Honors and Awards in Football Career
- League 1: 2016 – 2017
- League Cup runners-up: 2016 – 2017
Paris St Germain
- League 1: 2017-2018, 2018-2019, 2019-2020, 2021-2022
- French Cup: 2017-2018, 2019-2020, 2020-2021; Runner-up: 2018 – 2019
- League Cup: 2017-2018, 2019-2020
- Champions Trophy: 2019, 2020
- UEFA Champions League runners-up: 2019 – 2020
- UEFA European Under-19 Championship: 2016
- FIFA World Cup: 2018, runners-up: 2022
- UEFA Nations League: 2020-2021
- UEFA European Under-19 Championship Team of the Tournament: 2016
- UNFP League 1 Player of the Year: 2018-2019, 2020-2021, 2021-2022
- UNFP League 1 Young Player of the Year: 2016-2017, 2017-2018, 2018-2019
- UNFP League 1 Team of the Year: 2016-2017, 2017-2018, 2018-2019, 2020-2021, 2021-2022
- UNFP League 1 Player of the Month: April 2017, March 2018, August 2018, February 2019, February 2021, August 2021, February 2022, November/December 2022
- UEFA Champions League season squad: 2016-2017, 2019-2020, 2020-2021
- UEFA Champions League Team of the Season: 2021 – 2022
- FIFA FIFPro World11: 2018, 2019
- Golden Child: 2017
- FIFA World Cup Golden Boot: 2022
- FIFA World Cup Silver Ball: 2022
- FIFA World Cup Young Talent Award: 2018
- dream team the FIFA World Cup: 2018
- Kopa Trophy: 2018
- IFFHS Men’s World Team: 2018, 2021, 2022
- IFFHS World Top Scorer: 2022
- French Player of the Year: 2018, 2019
- UEFA Team of the Year: 2018
- Top scorer in League 1: 2018-2019, 2019-2020, 2020-2021, 2021-2022
- Best Assist Provider in League 1: 2021 – 2022
- World Footballer of the Year: 2021
- Bronze Elf: 2019
- UEFA Nations League Finals Golden Boot: 2021
- Knight of the Legion of Honor: 2018
Achievements, honors and awards of Lionel Messi’s football career
- League (10): 2004-2005, 2005-2006, 2008-2009, 2009-2010, 2010-2011, 2012-2013, 2014-2015, 2015-2016, 2017-2018, 2018-2019
- King’s Cup (7): 2008-2009, 2011-2012, 2014-2015, 2015-2016, 2016-2017, 2017-2018, 2020-2021
- Spanish Super Cup (8): 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013, 2016, 2018
- UEFA Champions League: 2005-2006, 2008-2009, 2010-2011, 2014-2015
- UEFA Super Cup: 2009, 2011, 2015
- FIFA Club World Cup: 2009, 2011, 2015
Paris St Germain
- League 1: 2021 – 2022
- Champions Trophy: 2022
- FIFA World Youth Championship: 2005
Under Argentina – 23
- Summer Olympics: 2008
- Soccer World Cup: 2022
- America’s Cup: 2021
- CONMEBOL-UEFA Champions Cup: 2022
- Ballon d’Or / FIFA Ballon d’Or (7): 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2015, 2019, 2021
- FIFA World Player of the Year: 2009
- FIFA’s Best Male Player: 2019
- European Golden Boot (6): 2009-2010, 2011-2012, 2012-2013, 2016-2017, 2017-2018, 2018-2019
- FIFA World Cup Ballon d’Or: 2014, 2022
- FIFA World Cup Silver Boot: 2022
- FIFA Club World Cup Ballon d’Or: 2009, 2011
- FIFA U-20 World Cup Ballon d’Or: 2005
- FIFA U-20 World Cup Golden Boot: 2005
- Copa America Best Player: 2015, 2021
- Copa America top scorer: 2021
- Best La Liga Player (6): 2008-2009, 2009-2010, 2010-2011, 2011-2012, 2012-2013, 2014-2015
- Pichichi Trophy (8): 2009 – 2010, 2011 – 2012, 2012 – 2013, 2016 – 2017, 2017 – 2018, 2018 – 2019, 2019 – 2020, 2020 – 2021
- Laureus World Sportsman of the Year: 2020
- Argentine Footballer of the Year (14): 2005, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022
The Associated Press News Services. “Mbappe, Messi inspire PSG to win 4-3 against Lille”. The Associated Press. Sunday 19 February 2023
Reference news services for football. “Kylian Mbappe”. Soccer Reference. Tuesday February 21, 2023
Reference news services for football. Lionel Messi. Soccer Reference. Tuesday February 21, 2023